Welcome to Devenish Primary School. I invite you to learn more about the innovative and stimulating learning environment at Devenish Primary School and trust that you will discover the wonders our school has to offer.
Devenish Primary School is a small, government Foundation to Year 6 rural school located 25 km north of Benalla and equal distance between Shepparton and Wangaratta. Our mission is to provide a challenging educational environment which places, “the student at the centre.”
We strive for excellence in academic achievement and promote the development of the whole child through strong co-curriculum. We educate our students to be enthusiastic, curious learners who know and understand themselves as individuals and productive community members. They are resilient, numerate users of multiple literacies and socially competent. The School Strategic Plan has a focus on students acquiring effective literacy skills, and developing a sound understanding of Maths skills and concepts. Students are actively encouraged to take responsibility for their learning and behaviour. We assist students to form friendships, seek solutions to problems and understand the importance of good citizenship.
Learning takes place through purposeful, structured inquiry, developed in a safe, happy and supportive environment. This contributes towards the development of independent, confident and resilient learners. We aim to prepare students to meet the challenges of an ever-changing global society, where they will have the skills, values, understandings and courage to undertake a positive, productive and rewarding role in that world. Our students leave Devenish Primary School looking forward to the future with confidence. We value relationships and connections with the community. We encourage our students to develop respectful relationships with their peers, teachers and the broader community.
Our guiding principles acknowledge:
- The rigorous pursuit of academic excellence
- All students can learn and they learn in different ways
- The importance of rich, varied and challenging student centered programs
- The different emotional cognitive and behavioural stages of development for each student
- Student voice
- Full participation in co-curriculum
- The value of learning environments that foster personal and social growth
- The worth and productivity of team work
- A whole school approach to the pastoral care of our students
- Data informed instruction
- The critical importance of the teacher
The atmosphere of the school is supportive and friendly with students, staff and parents working together to achieve the best learning outcomes for all children in a caring environment.